told to get counseling or get out?
Building Trust and Intimacy after Infidelity:
It is devastating and life altering to discover the person you believed in and trusted the most has had an affair. The betrayal after an affair leaves spouses angry, numb, despairing, anxious and unable to think clearly. Suddenly, you don’t feel like you can trust anyone- not your partner, maybe not even yourself.
Intimacy after Infidelity requires an even greater commitment from both spouses than when you got married. And yet the practical tasks of rebuilding your relationship often lead to an even better, stronger marriage. Its hard work, but it can be done.
At SVEC we help couples roll up their sleeves and learn new behaviors to discuss their complex and difficult new reality. We teach couples the skills to validate one another, grieve and forgive as they move toward the difficult decision of whether to stay married or separate. Couples who choose to stay together need to become more attuned to the relationship and we teach you behaviors to help you do that.
Recovery from infidelity is hard work but it is possible. We help you rebuild your relationship so that you can create a life worth living.
- Learn how to be a safe partner
- Manage anger so you don't get furious about little things
- Start seeing the good in each other
- Stop having the same fight over and over
- Learn how to communicate so that your partner can hear you
- Develop compassion for the other person
- Let go of past hurts and move forward in your relationship
Are you a High Conflict Couple?
At SVEC we teach couples skills in :
- Regulating strong emotions
- Validating and supporting one another
- Communicating skillfully and calmly in difficult situations
- Problem solving complicated issues collaboratively
With help from Dr. Alan Fruzetti’s book entitled, “The High Conflict Couple”, and experience teaching hundreds of people skills to manage negative emotions and end long-standing patterns in relationships.
Our sessions with couples are active, engaging and put partners to work on themselves in fun, interactive, experiential practice using the same skills found in standard Dialectical Behavior Therapy Programs.
Our goal is to help each partner be more equipped to manage their own emotions so they can listen and communicate in ways that lead to understanding, validation, and negotiation – all essential components of healthy intimacy.
Couples counseling, in which both partners take responsibility for their own behavior, can be a powerful healing experience. In fact, it is one of the greatest gifts you can give your spouse and yourself. The work may be hard, but the journey is one of hope.
- Learn how to be a safe partner.
- Manage anger so you don't get furious about little things.
- Start seeing the good in each other.
- Stop having the same fight over and over.
- Learn how to communicate so that your partner can hear you.
- Develop compassion for the other person.
- Let go of past hurts and move forward in your relationship.
Believe it or not, couple counseling often begins with just one partner. This is because many past issues of family addiction or abuse can contaminate a person's current relationship and need to be understood before attempting to solve relationship difficulties.
Before you can be a strong couple, you may need to become a stronger YOU. Once that happens, getting help together is very useful for many challenges:
Marriage Counseling doesn't have to be the last chance option; it can be a first step toward building a healthy relationship.
Couples counseling is for you if you no longer feel you can find the answers or if you want to make sure the answers you've thought of are going to take you in the right direction.
silicon valley executive counseling 2010
Call Now for more information (408) 893-4032
or Click Here to submit a request for a free consultation
Copyright 2012 Silicon Valley Executive Counseling: Counseling San Jose. All Rights Reserved.
1885 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126
Where Professionals Get Help with Stress Management, Communication Skills Training, and Personal Counseling in San Jose, Santa Clara, Los Gatos, Saratoga, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Los Altos